Lasers are the most distributed sailing dinghies in the world!
3 sail plan rigs are available, depending on age, gender, weight and on how tall the sailor is.
- Laser standard
It’s an Olympic men’s series, with optimal weight between 165 and 187lbs, and optimal height between 5’9″ and 6’3″.
- Laser Radial
This is an Olympic Women’s series and a Men’s Youth series, optimal weight between 132 and 165lbs.
- Laser 4.7
Men’s Youth under 17 and Men’s Youth under 21, optimal weight between 88 and 132lbs.
The dinghy’s technology and price make it a very popular boat around the world.
The rigging size of this boat lets the sailor’s talent emerge – and not because of the rigging’s quality.
Several Laser champions became famous in the world of sailing: Tom Slingsby, Russel Coutts, Ben Ainslie, Robert Scheidt.
Clubs in French Polynesia: Centre Nautique Baie de Phaéton.
Tahitian champions in Laser:
- Pacific Games Champion: Teiva Véronique (2003, Fiji)
- 4th at France’s Olympic Championship: Teiva Véronique (2003, la Grande Motte)
- 8th at France’s Olympic Championship: Teiva Véronique (2004)
- 2nd at Pacific Games: Jessee Besson (2003, Fiji)
- 3rd at Pacific Games: Jessee Besson (2007, Sāmoa and 2011, Nouméa)